Shahid Law Firm has a long history in the Leisure and Tourism sector, and regularly provides legal advice and support to hotel owners, operators, investors, and other stakeholders. Our expertise includes drafting and reviewing a variety of contracts, and advising on transactions at both the domestic and cross-border levels.
Shahid Law Firm’s involvement in the leisure and tourism industry includes:
- Advising a Saudi company in its development of the City Stars residential commercial apartments and hotel project in Cairo;
- Advising Qatari Diar with respect to all its development projects in Egypt (Nile Corniche, Hurghada, Sharm El-Sheikh, New Giza, and Barwa);
- Advising a major Egyptian-Saudi Company in its development of the Nile City residential and commercial apartments and hotel project;
- Representing international five star hotel operators in matters involving various governmental authorities (eg. Ministry of Tourism, the Supreme Council of Antiquities and others);
- Advising a number of hotel owners on finance and debt-restructuring matters;
- Representing a major US publicly-listed real estate group following the acquisition of a chain of hotels in Egypt;
- Upon the insurers’ instructions, representing a major world five star hotel chain during oral proceedings in relation to a drowning accident in the hotel’s swimming pool;
- Advising insurance companies during the course of proceedings brought against international hotels (the Insured) for an injury caused to guests;
Shahid Law Firm has also been a trusted advisor to the international Sonesta Collection on a number of matters, including: drafting and reviewing a number of management agreements, advising on legal action to take following the attempted breach of a management agreement by a hotel owner in Sharm El-Sheikh; and advising on regulatory and compliance matters.
Furthermore, our firm has one of the most competitive litigation and arbitration practices in Egypt, which gives us additional insight into the sources of disputes and grants us a unique edge in resolving disputes. In particular, our Firm is known for handling construction and hotel management disputes. Cases include:
- Representing an international hotel management company in a number of arbitrations concerning breaches of international hotel management contracts;
- Representing a five star hotel operator in relation to a tax dispute (our Firm succeeded in resolving the dispute with the Tax Authority before the matter reached court);
- Representing the Soma Bay Group of Companies in various arbitrations (five cases) against Kajima Corporation (all said arbitrations were amicably settled through the efforts of our firm);
- Representing a hotel operator in its dispute with the owner in an arbitration regulated by the ICC arbitration rules;
- Assisting a hotel owner in obtaining a favorable arbitral award in a dispute over the termination of a management agreement in which damages claimed against our client exceed USD 10 million; and
- Acting as Counsel in various arbitrations concerning hotel management contracts before the ICC and CRCICA.