Tarek is a Partner in Shahid Law’s International Business and Dispute Resolution Groups, and heads the Firm’s Aviation, Shipping & Transportation team.
Tarek advises clients on transactional and compliance matters, notably in the aviation, shipping & transportation; banking & finance; energy, oil & gas; insurance & financial services; pharmaceuticals; and TMT industries. He regularly represents foreign companies during their negotiations with Egyptian governmental authorities and private parties, and provides regular advice on compliance and anti-corruption matters under Egyptian penal legislation.
In addition, Tarek represents clients in trade, commercial, and investor-state disputes before international tribunals, the Cairo Court of Appeal, and Egyptian administrative authorities.
Tarek has published extensively on different areas of Egyptian and international law, and appears regularly as a guest lecturer on legal matters in Egypt and overseas.
Tarek is a member of the Egyptian Bar Association, and is a licensed Barrister and Solicitor of the Court of Appeal for Ontario (Canada). He is the Deputy Chair of the Economic Legislation Committee of the Egyptian Junior Business Association (EJB), and a member of the Canadian Egyptian Business Council’s (CEBC) legal committee.
Tarek holds degrees in Political Science and Law from the American University in Cairo (BA), Cairo University (LLB), Essex University (LLM), and McGill University (BCL/LLB), and is recognized by Legal 500 as a leading practitioner of Banking & Finance (2016) and (2017), as well as Employment (2017). He is also recommended by Who’s Who Legal (2015), (2016), and (2017) for Corporate Immigration.
- Provide leading Chinese shipping companies with ongoing corporate and commercial advice relating to their dealings in Egypt.
- Acted for a US-based mortgage lending company in its multi-Million-dollar financing of the purchase of Airbus aircrafts from an Egyptian airline.
- Advised an Egyptian airline in the context of its dry lease of aircrafts registered in a foreign jurisdiction.
- Acted for several Chinese banks in their multi-Million-dollar financing transactions of companies operating within one of Egypt’s special economic zones.
- Represented an Egyptian developer in a multi-Million-dollar financing transaction with respect to the construction of a hotel and commercial complex in Cairo, Egypt.
- Acted for a group of European banks in the context of the registration of a multi-Million-Euro pledge with Egyptian regulators.
- Represented an international aviation company in its acquisition of shares of a local charter company.
- Advised a leading global provider of road technology solutions in its negotiations of a multi-Million-dollar contract with the Egyptian Ministry of Transportation.
- Counseled a group of reinsurers in the context of their settlement of a multi-Million-dollar insurance claim with an Egyptian State-owned company.
- Advised an aviation company with regard to a multi-Million-dollar insurance claim following an aircraft accident in an African State.
Dispute Resolution Experience
- Acted as co-counsel for East Mediterranean Gas and a number of its shareholders in four major international oil & gas disputes against the Arab Republic of Egypt and various State entities (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/11; ICC Case No. 18215/GZ/MHM; CRCICA Case No. 829/2012 and PCA Case No. 2012-26).
- Represented two major regional media companies in a multi-million-dollar multi-party dispute involving litigation and arbitration under UAE law concerning breaches of a number of licensing and broadcasting agreements (CRCICA Case No. 1012/2014).
- Acted for Waterworks, a global environmental engineering company specializing in water treatment, against an Egyptian oil company in a multi-Million-pound dispute involving the construction of a water treatment facility and breaches of a build-own-operate contract (CRCICA Case No. 983/2014).
- Represented a major international auto manufacturing company against its Egyptian distributor/dealer in a multi-Million-dollar CRCICA arbitration (CRCICA Case No. 856/2012).
- Advised and represented Chinese and US manufacturers before the Egyptian Anti-Dumping, Subsidy and Safeguard Department in a number of Anti-Dumping investigations.
- “Treading the Waters of Egyptian Commercial Agency Laws, and Their Impact on Foreign-Based Tendering Investors” (2016) 2 Turkish Commercial Law Review 229 (with César Ternieden)
- “Arbitrability and Choice of Law in Transfer of Technology Agreements Under Egyptian Law” (2017) 34(1) Journal of International Arbitration 55 (With César Ternieden and Counselor Sarwat Abd El-Shahid)
- “Egyptian Citizenship Legislation, Private International Law, and their Impact on Individual Rights” (2014) 6 Middle East Law and Governance 272
- “The General Principles of Islamic Law as the Law Governing Investment Disputes in the Middle-East” (2012) 29(3) Journal of International Arbitration 255
- “Employee Mobility in Europe and Canada”, (Fall 2010) 18(4) California International Law Journal 3 (with the Honorable Justice Alan Diner and Anikka Hammett)
- “Towards a Contemporary View of Islamic Criminal Procedures: A Focus on the Testimony of Witnesses” (2009) 23(3) Arab Law Quarterly 269
- “The Protection of Refugees between Obligations under Multilateral Conventions and Special Treaty Obligations: The Case of Egypt”, (2008) 16 African Yearbook of International Law 151
Short Articles and Blog Posts
- The Future of the Resolution of Sports Disputes in Light of Local Constitutional Limitations; Kluwer Arbitration Blog
- In Egypt, Broadcasting Football is a Question of Sovereignty … for Now!; Asser Institute International Sports Law Blog (with Inji Fathalla and Nadim Magdy)
- Egypt’s Special Investment Law and the Suez Canal Special Economic Zone: A Positive Prospect for Future Investment; Egyptian MFA Blog