Donia is a Partner in Shahid Law Firm’s Corporate and Energy teams. She specializes in corporate, commercial and labor laws, and energy law with a focus on energy and power specific agreements, such as oil and gas concessions, power purchase and network connection agreements, and cost sharing arrangements. Donia also advises clients on the development, financing and acquisition of energy and infrastructure projects in Egypt. In addition to her energy practice, Donia’s experience includes advising on transactional matters, corporate and commercial agreements, joint ventures, corporate structuring, and labour matters notably in the pharmaceutical and manufacturing, industrial and services fields.
She is a member of the Egyptian Bar Association and regularly speaks at conferences in and outside Egypt, particularly on clean energy. She is also a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
She holds an LL.M. in International Financial Law from King’s College London, a Master in International and European Business Law from Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne University, and an LL.B. from Cairo University (IDAI).
Donia is recommended by Legal500 particularly for projects and infrastructure. She is noted as “a rising star in the renewable energy market”, as “hardworking and diligent” and for “always going the extra mile”.
- Acted for a number of international developers including Abengoa Solar, Acciona, Canadian Solar, Desert Technologies, Dhamma Energy, EDF Énergies Nouvelles, Engie (formerly GDF Suez), Gestamp Solar, Martifer, Neoen, Scatec Solar and SunEdison in their participation in Egypt’s first PV and wind feed-in tariff programme, and advised on the development and financing of about 1GW of power under the programme.
- Advised the New and Renewable Energy Authority (NREA), alongside Eversheds and PwC, on the development of a 200MW wind energy recovery project in the Gulf of Suez area with Masdar, funded by the Clean Technology Fund (CTF) through the African Development Bank (AfDB).
- Advised the Egyptian Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy, alongside Eversheds, PwC and VIS, on the financial management and governance of the electricity utility, notably the restructuring of the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company (EEHC) and its transmission and distribution affiliates.
- Advised Edison International, as secondee in-house lawyer, on the large midstream facilities’ sharing operation comprising the transfer by BG and Edison of the right of use of the Rosetta onshore facilities to BP and RWE as of mid-2016.
- Advised the international oil and gas services provider Halliburton on the divestment of part of its business in connection with its US$ 28 billion merger with Baker Hughes, notably on the transfer of explosives and radioactive materials’ licenses. The deal was called off on 01 May 2016 as it encountered opposition from regulators who claimed that it would hurt competition in the oil-field services business.
- Advised Vegas Oil & Gas in the multi-million-dollar sale to a Chinese company of certain assets of the independent oil and gas exploration and production group in Egypt, particularly with respect to the unitization of oil and gas fields, the indirect assignment of rights under a concession agreement, matters of cost recovery and anti-trust notifications.
- Advised Eni and Shell on issues related to payment of assignment bonus at the exit of a contractor and in the case of assets’ sale.
- Advised the Japanese engineering giant Mitsubishi Heavy Industries as local counsel in connection with its joint venture with Siemens in the metals technologies business, involving the carve-out of Siemens’s metals business.
- Acted as local counsel for GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) in its multi-billion dollars asset trading deal with Novartis, considered to have reshaped the pharmaceutical industry globally.
- Acted as local counsel for Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company Abbott and Abbvie in their global spin-off.
- “Egypt Chapter” in Oil Regulation, GTDT, Law Business Research, UK (2016) (with Girgis Abd El-Shahid)
- “Egypt Chapter” in Developing Renewable Energy Projects, Eversheds and PwC (2016) (with Michelle Davies, Tim Armsby and Sara Elmatbouly)
- National to international practice: Building bridges and connections within the region and internationally, a panel discussion at the International Bar Association (IBA) Women Business Lawyers Initiative, Beirut, 03 March 2016
- Creating a pro-investment environment: Outlining the latest developments in Egypt’s investment regulatory framework, a panel discussion at the Egypt Energy Forum part of the World Future Energy Summit (WFES) 2016, Abu Dhabi, 21 January 2016
- Financing solar energy investments: Understanding the financing processes and mechanisms to ensure funding for solar projects, a panel discussion at the Solar Projects Egypt conference, Cairo, 27 October 2015
- How to access foreign capital: Opening up the wind energy market to international lenders, a panel discussion at the IQPC Wind Power North Africa conference, Cairo, 19 October 2015
- Access to international finance and innovative funding options for sustainable energy developments, a panel discussion at the Euroconvention Global conference on the Financing of Renewable Energy Projects in Egypt, Cairo, 01 October 2015
- Feed-in tariff program for solar projects in Egypt, a presentation at the Solar Tech Egypt conference, Cairo, 28 July 2015
- Egypt and the renewable energy market, a presentation with Michelle Davies (Eversheds) on working within the Eversheds Africa Law Institute (EALI) at the EALI summit, London, 24 June 2015
- Financing renewable Energy in Egypt: Regulatory framework and key contracts, a presentation with Jean-Pascal Boutin and Rob Mcnabb (Eversheds) at the Financing renewable Energy in Egypt: Opportunity for banking sector workshop organized by the IFC and the Egyptian Banking Institute (EBI), Cairo, 03 June 2015
- The Egyptian FIT program, a panel discussion at the MENASOL 2015 conference, Dubai, 13 May 2015
- Business women in MENA, a presentation at the Women in Solar seminar organized by PV Insider and CSP Today, Dubai, 12 May 2015
- Corporate structure update and investment rules, presentations at the Developer and investor briefing on the Egyptian renewable energy FIT program, organized by Shahid Law and Eversheds with the support of IFC and EBRD, Cairo, 31 March 2015
- North African entities investing in Sub-Saharan Africa, a roundtable discussion at the Eversheds Africa Law Institute (EALI) summit, Johannesburg, 29 October 2014
- Employment termination and settlement of labor disputes, a presentation at the webinar organized by Eversheds for Vodafone Egypt, 25 June 2014
- Roundtable on Labor law; and Case study on employees profit sharing, presentations on Egypt at the Eni seminar for Africa HR, Milan, 22 and 23 May 2014