César is a US licensed (State Bar of Arizona, US) attorney. Since joining Shahid Law Firm in 2010 as Of Counsel, he has acted for multiple international clients such as BG Group, Edison International S.p.A., Eni S.p.A., GazProm, Vegas Oil and Gas S.A., Merlon Egypt, Energean Oil & Gas (Egypt) Limited, GAMESA, FourWinds Group, Minerali Industriali S.r.l., Suez Company for Mining, BMW Egypt, Eli Lilly, MundiPharma, Sonesta, Hilton International, InterContinental, and ACE Insurance.
César concentrates on international investment and commercial arbitration, international commercial agreements, M&A, and agency and distributorships, with extensive work in the oil & gas, pharmaceutical, and hotel management industries. He is fluent in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, with working knowledge of Arabic, German and Italian. César has also taught as a Visiting Professor at the Arab Academy of Science, Technology and Maritime Transport in Cairo.
César received his Juris Doctor from the Boston University School of Law, Boston, US (cum laude), and his Bachelor’s Degree from the University of California at Los Angeles, US (cum laude).
- Advised an international client in the franchising field in the context of Egyptian franchising laws.
- Collaborated with Clifford Chance to provide guidance regarding unilateral arbitration clauses with respect to Egyptian jurisdiction.
- Advised Russian mining company, Vertex Mining, in regards to minerals concession.
- Advising Ferro Corporation on the acquisition of the Egyptian tile coatings manufacturer on a cash-free and debt-free basis, in a deal valued at approximately US$ 39 million in cash, subject to working capital and other customary adjustments.
- Drafted and reviewed a number of FIDIC construction agreements.
Dispute Resolution Experience
- Represented a global inspection company against an Egyptian petroleum projects company in a multi-party dispute about the inspection of materials (CRCICA Case No. 1053/2015).
- Acted as co-counsel for East Mediterranean Gas and a number of its shareholders in major international oil & gas disputes against the Arab Republic of Egypt and various State entities (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/11; ICC Case No. 18215/GZ/MHM; CRCICA Case No. 829/2012 and PCA Case No. 2012-26).
- Acted for a group of global insurers, re-insurers and manufacturers against a logistics and warehousing company in a multi-million-dollar arbitration under the CRCICA rules in a dispute involving the negligent operation of a warehouse leading to the destruction of products as a result of fire (CRCICA Case No. 846/2012).
- Represented a major international auto manufacturing company against its Egyptian distributor/dealer in a multi-million-dollar CRCICA arbitration (CRCICA Case No. 856/2012).
- “Egypt” at Tyre, Jr., Kendal H. (ed.), International Arbitration in Africa 2015 (LexNoir 2016) (to be published).(with Girgis Abd El-Shahid)
- “Egypt” at Wood, William and Miller, Neil (eds.), Getting the Deal Through – Energy Disputes 2016 (2016) (to be published).(with Girgis Abd El-Shahid)
- “Egypt” at Jagusch, Stephen and Triantafilou, Epaminontas (eds.), Getting the Deal Through – Investment Treaty Arbitration 2016 (2015).(with Girgis Abd El-Shahid and Salma Abdelaziz)
- “Shahid Law Firm Legislative Update: Employee Profit Sharing Provision under Egyptian Investment Law”, Africa House – CMS-CMCK (online ed. Sept. 2015).(with Girgis Abd El-Shahid and Salma Abdelaziz)
- “Certain Aspects of Egyptian Arbitration Law”, Notícias CCBC – Brasil-Canadá News (online ed. n. 327, Jul. 2015).(with Girgis Abd El-Shahid)
- “Conducting oil and gas activities in Egypt”, CMS Cameron McKenna Briefing Note (2014, 2015 eds.).(with Girgis Abd El-Shahid)