Shahid Law Firm’s Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) and Real Estate law practice is equipped with the necessary expertise to provide legal services on a wide range of issues in this sector which include, but are not limited to, development, investment, financing, negotiating, drafting and dispute resolution. Our Firm has the skills and expertise to provide advice and support to our clients on all aspects of their construction and real estate activities.
Shahid Law Firm has a substantial track record in representing international and multinational companies in different assignments; and for the past two decades, it has been involved in the construction projects of a number of major residential and corporate complexes in the ever growing satellite areas around Cairo, as well as EPC contracts for the gerater portion of the recent new and renewable energy projects in Egypt.
In addition to advising on construction and professional service agreements, our industry expertise includes the following segments of construction and real estate law:
- EPC agreements, whether FIDIC or otherwise;
- Real estate contracts and registration;
- Real estate mortgages;
- Real estate taxation;
- Single and cross-border portfolio deals; and
- Inheritance related matters.
The breadth of our knowledge in this industry, along with our multidisciplinary approach, has allowed us to significantly excel in the field of EPC and Real Estate and serve all of our clients’ legal needs by utilizing our expertise in other fields such as infrastructure, corporate finance, IP and IT, as well as litigation and arbitration.
Shahid Law Firm’s involvement in the EPC and Real Estate industry includes:
- Advising various EPC contractors on the structuring and set up of their presence in Egypt, as well as on any required registration with the competent governmental bodies for carrying out EPC activities in the context of the First Regulatory Period 2015-2017 of the feed-in tariff (FiT) program launched by the Egyptian Ministry of Electricity;
- Advising the Egyptian Housing and Development Bank with respect to its recent investments in real estate projects;
- Acting for LDC in the construction contracts for two warehouses and on-going legal support during performance;
- Advising a Fortune 200 world leading power company on the construction, procurement, design, and financing under Egyptian law following the company’s pre-qualification by the Egyptian Electricity Authority to submit a proposal for the development of two BOOT 325 MW steam cycle units capable of firing natural gas and fuel oil in Sidi Krir, Egypt. Further aspects the firm advised on includes: completion, testing, operation and maintenance of the plant;
- Advising QatariDiar with respect to all its development projects in Egypt (Nile Courniche, Hurghada, Sharm El-Sheikh, New Giza, and Barwa);
- Advising on the development of the Egyptian Media Production City;
- Advising Golden Pyramids Plaza, Saudi Arabian Capital, in its development of the City Stars residential and commercial apartments and hotel project in Cairo as well as drafting all agreements related thereto;
- Advising Nile City Investments, Egyptian and Saudi Capital, in its development of the Nile City residential and commercial apartments and hotel project on the Nile peninsula;
- Advising a major investment company in its development of one of the most luxurious residential projects in New Cairo;
- Advising multiple regional Real Estate Developers, including Qatari Diar and Ras El-Kheima Authority in all of the affairs associated with their real estate investments in Egypt;
- Advising a leading industrial company on contract termination conditions under Egyptian Civil Law in context of constructing an ammonia unit for a petrochemicals company. The contract stipulated that our client hires a construction company to carry out the construction works;
- Advising on the legal intricacies of donating a vast parcel of land located in Upper Egypt with a license to build a hospital on it;
- Representing a major US publicly listed real estate group following the acquiring of a chain of hotels in Egypt on their daily activities;
- Reviewing a golf club construction contract for an Egyptian tourism investment company; and
- Assisting various multinationals, including UNICHARM Corporation, GSK, and TKIS in matters related to their manufacturing facilities and their associated property (registration, allocationagreements, etc.) with various authorities.
Shahid Law firm also possesses relevant expertise in advising on FIDIC-related matters. Clients include ABC Bank, as well as a multinational tecnology producer on the compliance of its FIDIC agreements with Egyptian law.
Additionally, Shahid Law Firm has been recently assisting clients in the transfer of their building licenses from residential to administrative; and also, our lawyers have recently drafted and reviewed lease contracts for a number of leading companies such as Jamjoom Pharma, and SAIF SpA in the context of establishing their subsidiaries in Egypt. Also in this regard, Shahid Law Firm has recently reviewed contracts for Microsoft with respect to the relocation of their premises in Egypt; and assisted Roche Diagnostics, Takeda, and Motorola with the registration of contracts concerning their property.
Shahid Law Firm also provides legal assistance to clients with regard to contentious cases; examples include:
- Representing a hotel owner in a multi-party, complex arbitration concerning allegations of breaches of construction contracts (FIDIC) (CRCICA Case No. 1150/2016);
- Acting for a major Korean heavy industries company in all disputes associated with the FIDIC contract entered into with the international consortium responsible for the building and operation of one of the Egyptian ports;
- Acting for Plena Group in an investment dispute concerning an area of more than 250,000 square meters comprising the company’s manufacturing facility. Shahid Law’s advocating efforts have led to the acknowledgement of the client’s rightful ownership of the land by the Menoufia Governorate, North of Cairo (where the land is located), in addition to effectuating the procedures of registering same in client’s name by the concerned administrative bodies;
- Successfully representing Waterworks, a global environmental engineering company specializing in water treatment against an Egyptian oil company in a dispute involving the construction of a water treatment facility and breaches of a build-own-operate (“BOO”) contract;
- Representing an Egyptian construction company against a container terminal of one of the Egyptian ports in an arbitration concerning the building of a commercial warehouse (FIDIC); successfully steering negotiations into a successful settlement;
- Acting as a local co-counsel for Claimant in the matter between Hussain Sajwani,DAMAC Park Avenue for Real Estate Development S.A.E., and DAMAC Gamsha Bay for Development S.A.E. against Arab Republic of Egypt;
- Acting as counsel for Respondent in the matter between an Egyptian building solutions company and a multinational wireline logging services company;
- Acting as counsel for Respondent in a dredging case between a consortium of international dredging companies against the Egyptian competent authority;
- Acting as Counsel for Claimant in two matters between Golden Pyramids Plaza Company against Alexandria Construction Company. The disputes were related to the construction of the City Stars Complex, steering the cases into successful settlement; and
- Representing the Soma Bay Group of Companies in the various arbitrations (five cases) against Kajima Corporation. All said arbitrations were amicably settled through the efforts of our Firm.