Shahid Law Firm’s corporate and M&A practice provides advice and support to public and private companies, their directors, managers, board members and investors, as well as to entrepreneurs in relation to their corporate requirements across all industry sectors. Legal 500 2016 has described Shahid Law Firm as ‘a good firm that all parties are happy to see on a deal’.
Mergers and acquisitions form a particular focus of our corporate practice. We advise Egyptian and foreign clients on every aspect of a transaction. From the first encounter and the due diligence process, drafting and negotiating of the transaction documents, up to deal closing, our team of corporate lawyers will guide through the transaction process to ensure the successful deal completion.
Our services include providing advice on corporate restructuring and capital measures, representing clients in judicial or extra-judicial legal disputes, and opining and providing training on corporate compliance matters, including matters related to anti-trust and competition, whether domestic or regional (COMESA) as well as anti-corruption.
We also provide expert legal opinions on specific issues of corporate law based on our broad range of expertise.
Some of the services offered by our corporate and M&A lawyers include:
- Establishment and financing of companies;
- Negotiation and structuring of joint ventures, including all ancillary agreements;
- Capital markets law (capital increases, listing of securities, initial public offerings, compliance with capital markets and stock exchange law);
- Inter-company agreements (profit transfer agreements, business lease or transfer agreements);
- Corporate governance and compliance;
- Corporate secretary services (including preparing and holding board of directors’ and shareholders’ meetings) and handling all necessary filings and legalization for companies branches and representative offices in Egypt; and
- Legal representation in disputes, both before courts and in arbitration.
Shahid Law Firm also handles corporate day-to-day legal matters for a number of international companies across various sectors. Clients Abbott, AbbVie, GlaxoSmithKline (“GSK”), Roche Diagnostics, and Takeda Pharmaceuticals; as well as Ferro Corporation, Strategy&, Julius Baer, LD Com, Motorola, Nokia Solutions Networks, Reckitt Benckiser, Rolls Royce, ThyssenKrupp Industrial Solutions, and Yahoo!, Abengoa Solar, BG, EDF Energies Nouvelles, ENI, Scatec Solar, and Voltalia.
Shahid Law Firm’s involvement in Corporate and M&A cases includes:
- Assisting Volaris group in the due diligence and transaction agreements in the context of the acquisition of a major Canadian software company and its affiliated business in Egypt, according to the Egyptian law;
- Advising as local counsel in a due diligence for a global acquisition of a welding company with respect to local Egyptian assets with Jones Day as lead counsel;
- Advising Abbott Limited Egypt LLC and Abbott HealthCare LLC on their EGP 110 million capital increase procedures;
- Representing UR Beteiligungen GmbH in United Company for Nile Cruise S.A.E. in the transfer of shares valued at millions EGP;
- Representing Scatec Solar in its acquisition of a number of solar energy projects under Egypt’s first round of the feed-in tariff scheme;
- Advising an American global food-processing and commodities-trading corporation in its contemplated acquisition of an Egyptian food-processing, warehousing and commodities-trading company;
- Advising Ferro Corporation in two mandates, the most recent of which was the acquisition of the Egyptian tile coatings manufacturer on a cash-free and debt-free basis, in a deal valued at approximately US$ 39 million in cash, subject to working capital and other customary adjustments;
- Advising a major telecom and media group in its contemplated acquisition of an Egyptian company owning one of the leading TV satellite channels, in a deal valued at approximately EGP 210 million in debt capitalization and cash;
- Acting as a local counsel for GSK in its multi-billion dollar asset trading deal with Novartis, considered to be reshaping the pharmaceutical industry globally;
- Acting as a local counsel for the Japanese engineering giant, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, in connection with its joint venture with Siemens in the metals technologies business, involving the carve-out of Siemens’s metals business;
- Representing a Cairo-based technology company owning the Yaoota.com website in a capital increase and quota purchase transaction and in landing a US$ 2.7 million Series A round with a leading Middle East investment group;
- Acting as counsel on Egyptian law aspects in the Algerian Fund’s acquisition of a 51% stake in Algerian Djezzy from Global Telecom Holding, a subsidiary of the VimpelCom group, for a price of US$ 2.643 billion;
- Acting as local co-counsel in connection with the acquisition of a substantial Egyptian interest in a major international oil company by another major international oil company, possibly the largest on-going oil and gas-related acquisition;
- Representing a number of international developers in their acquisition of minority stakes with call options for future increase of their equity participation in renewable energy project companies incorporated under the Egyptian feed-in tariff scheme; and also with respect to the acquisition of majority participating interest in a number of PV projects under round one of Egypt’s FIT Program;
- Advising Nokia Networks on contract formation under Egyptian law in context of negotiation of amendments to supply agreement with an Egyptian mobile phone operator;
- Acting as a local counsel for an international oil and gas services provider in the divestment of part of its business in connection with its merger with another international oil and gas services provider;
- Acting for an Emirati investment group in a multi-million-dollar share swapping transaction with a leading investment company in Africa and the Middle-East to finalize the acquisition of a stake in a leading producer of float glass;
- Representing a multinational dairy products corporation in its acquisition of the chilled dairy business of a leading multinational food and beverage company in Egypt, for an undisclosed amount;
- Acting as local Counsel for MetLife in its worldwide acquisition of ALICO from AIG in a deal valued at US$ 15.5 billion;
- Acting for LDC in various matters relating to taxes, financial instruments, drafting and reviewing international contracts; and
- Representing an international financing group in the successful close of a share sale transaction involving priority rights in a M&A context.